Friday, July 6, 2012


5:45 am. Its already 80 degrees.  I’ve just come in from setting the soaker hoses.  The boney, dry ground soaks up the meager watering almost before it is out of the hose.

I am reminded of Ps. 63:1 which I read earlier this morning.

O God, you are my God;
    I earnestly search for you.
My soul thirsts for you;
    my whole body longs for you
in this parched and weary land
    where there is no water.

I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain Ps. 143:6


David expresses how much he longed for God- like a dry and weary land, a parched land, without water. Did he feel dry and weary spiritually?  Or was he just hungry for more of God than he was experiencing at the time?

It got me to thinking; am I hungrily seeking God as much as my bone-dry garden seeks moisture?  That is a whole lot of thirst! Am I satisfied with just getting by? Or do I really want more?  What does my hunger really look like?  What keeps me from seeking God that earnestly?  Is it busyness, offenses, pleasure, “stuff”, relationships?  Or is it a laziness, selfishness, or callousness?

This much I do know, if I don’t seek God I will become like that dry and weary land.  So, just as I water my dependent plants daily, I need to go to God for daily living water so that I become a well-watered garden (Is 58:11).  I don’t want to be just any garden; I want to be a lush, thriving one.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! He is the one who gives us living water-and it bubbles up and out like a river! That is the water Jesus says we should desire! (And that way, those around us are refreshed, too!) Aren't you glad God chose you? And yes, he chose you to thrive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful my friend! I so resonate with this post. Thank you for refreshing me with the water of His word on this Hot afternoon!

    love you!

    ReplyDelete